Each School District is responsible for their own Wellness Policy, to be updated annually. The requirements are as follows:
- Include goals to promote nutrition and education, physical activity, and any additional school-based activities to promote overall student wellness.
- Include nutrition guidelines for all foods available in each school district to promote healthy students and a reduced childhood obesity rate.
- Permit and encourage parents, students, representatives of the school food authority, physical education teachers, school health professionals, the school board, school administrators, and the general public to participate in the development, implementation, review and update of the local wellness policy.
- Keep the public (including parents, students, and others in the community) informed and updated about the content and implementation of local wellness policies.
- Periodically measure on the extent to which schools are in compliance with the local wellness policy, the extent to which the local education agency’s local wellness policy compares to model local school wellness policies, and the progress made in achieving the goals of the local wellness policy, and make this assessment available to the public.
For more information on the Local School Wellness Policy, click here.